The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Convert WPMU to Simple Wordpress (9 posts)

1. brentcreative
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was working with a guy who decided that we needed WPMU. There is not reason for this and I'd like to switch to regular Wordpress. Is there a proper way to do this? Without losing the structure and content of the site?

Thanks,

2. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

The best you can do is export your content using the Wordpress export tool. Then just set up a standard Wordpress site with the same theme and import your content into the new site.

3. brentcreative
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does the export tool also export users? Can I keep my current database?

4. BondageRadio
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's a bit tricky when it comes to users... you can use an sql tool to backup some tables and information such as wp_users and wp_usermeta ... but I'm not 100% sure that restoring those tables to your new wordpress install will be 100% compatible.

I know I was able to go the other direction wp -> wpmu and it worked just fine.

Just make sure to save backups of everything.

The only other thing that you may have issues with is the media saved inside the posts, such as photos, etc. the photos are not backed up in the basic export function.

5. brentcreative
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for this feedback.

The main reason for switching back, is I keep coming up with problems in the way the MU version works that I can't fix or change. I don't have these problems with my sites that run the regular WP. I may just stay with this version and find an expert I can pay to fix these problems for me.

Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone like this.

- Mark

6. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Aw man, I'm backed up a month. :D I can also recommend Curtis though.
    http://c-netconsulting.com/

8. samfourie
    Posted 15 years ago #

On converting MU Back to Normal version 2.6.2 ?

if i read the second post correctlty then i can just upload and configure WP 2.6.2 and it should read all the tables ?

9. lalomarquez
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not all the tables, just the xml file you made with mu's export tool. It will give you a chance to map mu authors to the respective existent authors in your new wp installation. It will also import your uploaded images. I'm not sure about the bio and other info on authors, but I think it won't go that far. Make sure you don't have any "draft" pages or posts because the import tool will fail saying that there is a duplicate entry.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by brentcreative
  • Latest reply from lalomarquez