The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Hello WPMU World (8 posts)

1. strixy
    Posted 18 years ago #

I am here to volunteer as a tester and later as template designer. I bring with me experience from several other blogging/CMS hosts and packages such as Journalspace.com and MamboServer. I am running my own server (w/ LAMP), have a strong background in template creation and can write to W3C HTML / CSS standards.

I wrote the book on designing templates for journalspace.com users (literally, you can read it here http://www.strixy.com/jshelp/). I also wrote the book on designing Mambo templates (again, literally. It's 115 pages and available here http://mamboforge.net/projects/templates4newbs/).

So where are all the WPMU designers kickin' it?

2. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Gidday, I'm hardly a designer but welcome nonetheless :o) Sound like you'll be a pretty cool person to have involved!

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Glad to have you on board Strixy - there'll be a number of major changes in the next few weeks, the most obvious of which will be the move over to offering WordPress templates as I explained here.

You should be able to use the standard WP layout and files to create templates in the future!

More to come in a seperate post..

4. strixy
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm still working on installing the sucker, not my forte, obviously - but I'll get it.

5. strixy
    Posted 18 years ago #

Oh, and thank you for the warm welcome :)

6. 43chickens
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hey guys. I'm a newbie WP user just gettin' started. I design websites and have worked as an interface designer for big StoryServer driven commercial sites back in the day.

I'm finally getting myself ported over to CSS from tables and learning PHP and javascript and all this stuff I never had to know when I had a Production team... :)

I am really interested in finding a way to use blogs as a remote CMS for a website. For example, one of my website clients is an organization with departments, and each department head wants to post regularly on the organization's site (visually tagged as content belonging to [a]the department and [b]the author). So I'd potentially have four or more blogs showing up on the homepage of the site.

I think categories SORT OF could be used to create "departments", but I'm still learning how to tweak the themes in WordPress to make the categories more visually emphasized.

Is this type of "multi-author" application something that I would need WordPressMU for? Or would regular WP be able to do this?

I'd be happy to review interface designs for usability.

7. 43chickens
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

After a few duds searching WP support I found some really specific answers in the Codex, including some virtual hacks and a plug-in that sound like they might work. Anyway, I have a LOT of reading to catch up on!

Thanks for patience with newbie.

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

If you will only need four or five blogs then I would stick with just the regualr WP. WPMU is 1) a lot more complicated to install and manage that WP and 2) would be a bit overkill for the number of blogs you will need. I may be wrong though.

About this Topic

• Started 2025 years ago by strixy
  • Latest reply from andrewbillits