The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Indexing blogs (11 posts)

1. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

I can't understand why WPMU doesn't have an system to index blogs by subject matter. Is it so difficult to add database tables and dropdown boxes for users to select an area of interest when they signup and a script to list them on the admin page?

Having the ability for visitors to click on a link to view blogs by subject matter is a no brainer. It should be like walking into a library or store and browsing the aisles.

Using tags and searches is just too ponderous.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Feel free to code it and submit it to trac:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org

You may want to search the forums as this topic has been discussed previously with a number of solutions presented.

3. c2h5oh
    Posted 15 years ago #

There is a plugin that does exactly that. I do not know if it works and/or if it is compatible with 1.5.1, but here it is:
    http://certiopensource.blogspot.com/2007/05/wordpress-mu-blog-categories-plugin.html

it is discussed here:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1444

4. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks c2, I will give that a try, but it looks kind of complicated to implement, and all I really need is something just for the admin to display on a page and on the site admin.

There should be something hardcoded in WPMU to do such. The admin sets the available choices and the user selects which one they want to be a part of. Something separate from the categories stuff.

tdjcbe, I like Movable Type, too, actually I prefer it because of the static pages, but using it to link to WPMU plugins? :-)

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

There should be something hardcoded in WPMU to do such.

The problem with that is that there's a number of ways to do it and there's no best one way to do it. wp.com points all of the category links to their tag pages. (Well at least those on the public blogs.) Others offer both internal category links as well as sitewide links. Who's to say which method is best.

6. binh
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, the WPMU "Blog categories" plugin should do the trick. When I convert opentips.com to WPMU I will be using that plugin too. Cheers.

7. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

"There should be something hardcoded in WPMU to do such."

I really don't think it should be in the core. People that wants that can use the plugin ... it is just not needed in the core. Not everybody, probably far from most people, use wmpu as a platform for a site with all kind of blogs.

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

I really don't think it should be in the core.

+1

Thanks,
    Andrew

9. chinafla
    Posted 15 years ago #

thanks
    mark it

10. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

It can be an option in the core.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's what plugins are for.

Core serves all.

Through plugin hooks you customize it to fit your individual need.

This doesn't qualify as a core feature.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by wehican
  • Latest reply from lunabyte