I like the DV server thus far. Sure beats running your own server, and I like the level of control it gives above and beyond most hosting packages.
Problem solved! I guess it pays to contact support sometimes. After spending 5-6 hours trying to figure this out myself, I asked Mediatemple support for help and got this back, which solved the problem:
I tested out the forgot my password for the badbillboard site and i see that the email is being sent out to a mwi.com address.
You can take a look at the mail logs located at
The reason that you will not receive this email is that the mail for mwi is hosted elsewhere and mail for mwi.com is enabled on the server locally. Disable the email for this domain and any other domain that has been created here on your server and also has mail hosted elsewhere.
You can disable mail & dns for the domain, by
1) login to plesk
2) click domains
3) select the domain ( mwi.com )
4) click mail
5) switch off
If you continue to experience difficulties please provide us with more information such as the domain that is experiencing the issue where the domain is trying to send email.
Senior Customer Support
(mt) Media Temple
So apparently it was sending to other people, just not mwi.com email which is what I use. Of course I didn't bother to ask anyone else if it was working for them...I just assumed it wasn't working at all.
To explain this in another way, the problem was that the email address I've been using for all my blogs is mwi.com, and I use a hosted exchange server for mwi.com email, meaning I don't host my mwi.com email on the same server as the mwi.com website.
But since email was activated on the web server for mwi.com, which is also hosted on the same dv server as these blogs, when the blogs went to send email to mwi.com addresses they would say "Hey, mwi.com is hosted right here on the same server, so we don't need to go out and check DNS, we can just send it right on over without going out to the Internet at all." and so it would send it to the local mail server for mwi.com, which as I said I'm not using, hence the disappearance of said emails without any errors showing up.