The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

URL Issues (6 posts)

1. emdee90
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm working on a new install of WPMU at Dreamhost.

The installation process seemed to function ok, but all pages try to forward to 'domain.com'/cgi-system/missing

All files are currently chmod'd to 777 and wp-inst was not renamed to wpmu.

Ideas?

Also, taking a peek at the .htaccess file, the typical URLs that the installation program produced were things like this:

"/cgi-system/wp-inst/wp-content/blogs/"

which isn't where the wp-inst is.

Doug Taylor

2. samchng
    Posted 18 years ago #

Place wp-inst into your root, most likely public_html directory. Then give it a try. :)

Don't put it into your cgi drectory.

3. gobblin
    Posted 18 years ago #

I had the same problem with Dreamhost. The problem is that they run php as cgi as default. This can be disabled from the control panel but for security reasons this is unwise.

One work-around is to change the installation script to force wordpressMu to install in the base directory:

In index.php change the line
    $url = "http://".$_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"] . dirname( $_SERVER[ "SCRIPT_NAME" ] );
    to
    $url = "http://".$_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"] ;

and (at least) the 2 lines:
    $base = dirname( $_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"] );
    to
    $base = '/';

I guess $_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"] returns "cgi-system".
    I think you have to change another file to but I don't remember which. But the principle is the same, i.e. to change all $_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"] to '/'.

Hope this solves your problem.

/Anders

4. kahless
    Posted 18 years ago #

Strange. I didn't have this problem with DreamHost. Wonder why? I just plopped the files in the root of the subdomain I created for my WPMU test environment and ran the install.

5. emdee90
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'll give it a shot.

wp-inst is, in fact, in the root directory and Gobblin is correct about the configuration of Apache.

I'll give the idea a try and see what happens.

6. fimion
    Posted 18 years ago #

WPMU will install correctly if you use dreamhosts' php5.cgi because they have added some custom variables to that. php4.cgi does not have these modifications.

About this Topic