The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

sub-subdomain.subdomain.domain.tld and cookies (4 posts)

1. rcwatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've been doing reading about setting up MU to handle blogs with their own sub-subdomain (as in the topic title of this post). The closest thread I found to what I'm trying to do is http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5192 but that person is actually trying to do the opposite of what I'm trying to do (change blogname.blogs.domain.tld to blogname.domain.tld).

Believe it or not, I actually want to do the opposite, having blogname.blogs.domain.tld. Here's the problem.

When I first installed MU, the domain scheme was "wordpressmu.domain1.tld" with individual blogs being created as "blogname.wordpressmu.domain1.tld". Then, we decided to change it to "blogs.domain2.tld" with individual blogs still being created as "blogname.blogs.domain2.tld".

All of that worked, except now when I go to the wp-login.php page and sign in, I get the dreaded "WordPress requires Cookies but your browser does not support them or they are blocked." error.

I've tried editing the wp-login.php file in as many ways as are mentioned in the different threads on the subject in the forums, but to no avail. I still get the error and can't log into the admin console of the blog server.

What am I missing? Can I really do what I'm trying to do? Did changing domain schemes midstream mess me up and if so, how do I fix it?

Thanks.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do a search for domain mapping here in the forums. It's been discussed a number of times. You have to add in a record to the wp_site table.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually, domain mapping isn't what they're after whatsoever, and isn't relevant to their topic.

They simply switched domains mid-stream, and now want to use the second one (exclusively, it seems).

Easiest thing would be to do a dump of your entire database, make a copy of it locally (to be safe) open it a text editor (NOT WORD), and do a search/replace with the old and new domains.

From there, empty your current database, and then import the modified one.

Then, you'll be OK. If not, that's why you have a backup, and can then try again.

4. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Open up wp-login.php and comment out the lines that make that error show up. It's just a check for test_cookie. Then you'll be able to see if there's actually a problem with your setup.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by rcwatson
  • Latest reply from MrBrian