The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Letting a user build their own blog (11 posts)

1. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does anyone know of a method to allow a user to build their own Wordpress blog on the fly. So the user can decide the number of columns (1, 2 or 3), the width of each column (or fluid width), the header colour etc. Just like you can in Typepad if you don't switch to Advanced Templates.

I've been messing about with Canvas but it seems unintuitive, it still relies on compatible themes for it work and is generally wobbly with MU.

It needs to be something as simple as Typepad and to work with WPMU 1.3.3. Any experiences?

2. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Have a look at the K2 theme.
    http://getk2.com/about/

It might offer something a bit more customisable than standard WordPress themes.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sandbox is one of the few themes I know of that has optins to switch from 2 to 3 sidebars.

themeatic might be another one, but I haven't tried it yet. I think there's a theme out there called Options with a ton of... options.

honestly? I've looked at a ton of themes and haven't yet seen one that was as easy or customizable as Typepad /blogger.

you can add on more features like custom css via plugins, but for many users, that's not what they call easy. :)

you'll have to google for WP theme with extensive or advanced options pages.

4. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks cafespain. I've now installed it and K2 is kinda almost there - close but no cigar! I'll take a look at Sandbox and the other ones andrea_r suggested too.

Pity there's not anything directly comparable to Typepad yet...

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why not code it yourself and release it to the community?

6. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

or code it yourself and sell it. :-)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Dude, people have been trying this for the last couple years.

8. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well....it does seem that several WP themes (Mandigo, Tarski, Kubrick, K2, Thematic etc) have bits of the puzzle. It would be combining them all into one theme which would be the challenge as well as developing any bits that haven't been attempted yet.

So looking at the 'Design' tab of Typepad, these are the features that are currently editable by a user:

1) Background colour and width of the overall site (fixed based on three sizes or fluid). Link and hover colours.
    2) Number of sidebars (inc. widths and background colours), border types and positions (left and/or right, both together etc), font characteristics (including size, type, colour, line spacing etc)
    3) Customisable header - OK, can already be done in WPMU!
    4) Editing the font (inc. size, colour, style, position, border and visibility) of the post date, title, body and footer

All this through noddy dropdowns without having to rely on CSS knowledge. Really quite neat and very user-friendly for mere-mortals!

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

#2 and the sidebar thing is definitely in Sandbox.
    #4 we've done in some of our themes. just another options page, really. Oh, and just font style and size.

Hmmm.... soem of #1 has also been done in an options page. I guess the challenge is finding it all rolled into one.

Do that, you'll have the attention of all kinds of people. :D

(although now I have an idea.. and I need 48 hour days...)

10. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmmm andrea_r, unless I'm very much mistaken it sounds to me like you're half-tempted with the challenge.

And whilst (unfortunately) I can't extend the number of hours in the day, I could bombard you with words of encouragement, motivational thoughts, and a slice of orange at half-time!

In all seriousness, if it was possible to do all these things then I'm sure a little money could always exchange hands if that helped the process.

11. webhosting
    Posted 15 years ago #

It is a pitty that Canvas is no longer being actively developed by Karsten and Yasser, but hopefully they find a new team to continue its growth.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by mrarrow
  • Latest reply from webhosting