The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New sitewide tags plugin for MU (46 posts)

1. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

Examples from jimgroom, btw.
    http://umwblogs.org/

http://tags.umwblogs.org/

2. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

@dsader I love your additional plugins that work alongside Donncha's wonderful plugin.

*edit* nevermind, I never looked properly at the options!

Trent

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I can't find the thread so I'm going to stick it here. There's a new version of wp-super-cache as of yesterday.

v0.8.8

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

Sitewide is up to v0.3.1 but that's a couple of months old:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/

Quick suggestion: On our management wiki of our sites, we list what additions, plugins, modules, wraps, designs, themes, addons, extras, boxes, etc along with the current version number as well as a link. Every so often, we run through that list, do right clicks/ "open in a new tab" off of it to see if we have the latest version and, if needbe, upgrade. Only takes a few minutes.

4. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

0.8.8 is a good one. Fixes a huge problem with clearing cache files on large sites.

5. josswinn
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using site-wide-tags on http://tags.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk

There's a couple of things I wish I could do with it. Maybe someone can offer their thoughts?

1) I'd like to use that site to send notifications to Twitter and FriendFeed whenever anything is published. There are two plugins: Twitter-tools and wp-sup which will do this respectively on a normal WPMU blog, but, I guess, because the posts on the 'tags' site are not being published in the normal way, both plugins are not sending out notifications in the normal way. I wonder if there's a simple hack that will get the 'tags' site to actually publish so that these plugins will work (or hack the plugins to work with site-wide-tags)

2) I'm also wondering whether an aggregation of site-wide-comments is possible using Donncha's plugin. Lines 179/180 are:

$post->ping_status = 'closed';
    $post->comment_status = 'closed';

They are the only mention of 'comment' in the plugin. As you might guess, commenting out the comment_status line results in published posts being commentable (the link is direct to the original site - nice). But it doesn't expose a comments feed for the site.

Is there a way to pull a comment feed by modifying Donncha's plugin or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any input. As always, I wish I could code PHP myself but so far, there's just no time...

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Not sure on the first one, becasue I didn't dig into how the posts are published.

The comments idea won't work - it's reposting the entries into another blog, so it's not pulling the comments too.

the sitewide feed plugin of itdamager's still worked last I checked (it needs an overhaul yes, but it works, despite the message it shows, and it has sitewide comment feed & pages feed)

7. jmasson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hey Guys,

Based on the examples given in this thread, and my quick install and nothing happening, I take it this plugin only works for MU installs setup to use "blog_name.domain.com" style domains, not "domain.com/blog_name" ?

Thanks,
    JM

8. josswinn
    Posted 14 years ago #

It works for both setups. Subdomains and sub-directories.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"and my quick install and nothing happening,"

It doesn't go back and find old posts. It will only start working from the time you install it and someone posts a new entry.

Or go pick a couple entries on the system and resave them. That'll kick it into gear.

FWIW, I helped someone out with this on Sunday, with a subfolder install.

10. jmasson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Sorry, I should have put more detail... "A quick install and a new post" :) I assumed it would only index going forward.

Also using wp-super-cache, so I thought it was that, but cleared it and still nothing. By nothing I mean It hasn't created the domain.com/tags blog (I left default name of tags in the options), and nothing appears on the main blog (option ticked)... Do you need to do anything with the wordpress folder permissions?

I will have a bit more of a play tomorrow when I'm back at work I guess, at least I know now it SHOULD work with sub domains, so cheers. :)

11. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"(I left default name of tags in the options), and nothing appears on the main blog (option ticked).."

Ah, that part I also ran into - it's an either / or thing.

Also, if the privacy options on the main blog is NOT public, the posts won't go to sitewide tags.

So, what blog did you post to and where did you expect them to show up?

12. jmasson
    Posted 14 years ago #

Couldn't help jumping on the VPN and having another look now...

One thing I did notice was your note to 'add a post loop to home.php in the theme directory if it exists'... Is there something here required other than the normal loop for displaying posts of the blog itself?

EDIT: Should have refreshed, missed the post you just made, will look at those things

13. jmasson
    Posted 14 years ago #

"So, what blog did you post to and where did you expect them to show up?"

Well I did just have the main/default blog, and one test I created... So using this, I expect to see a post I make on the test blog appear on the main blog... Although see next q&a :)

"Ah, that part I also ran into - it's an either / or thing..."

Ahh cool, that explains something. I do want them to appear on the main blog, but just to test, I unticked this and the plugin successfully created the /tags blog, but still nothing appears on it when I post to another blog... (again made new posts / edited after this blog was created)

"Also, if the privacy options on the main blog is NOT public, the posts won't go to sitewide tags..."

Do you mean the 'Privacy' options under the Settings' menu for the main/default blog? This is set to 'I would like my blog to be visible to everyone....'

EDIT: Also it is 'Public' in the "Blog info (wp_blogs)" settings...

14. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Is there something here required other than the normal loop for displaying posts of the blog itself?"

Nope, that's just added in case you have a home.php file without a loop.

"Do you mean the 'Privacy' options under the Settings' menu for the main/default blog? This is set to 'I would like my blog to be visible to everyone....'"

Yeah, I was asking that if the posts were being pulled form.

make sure the *test* blogs are set to public as well. If the blog you are posting to is NOT public, it will NOT get picked up by sitewide tags (wherever the tags blog is).

15. jmasson
    Posted 14 years ago #

"make sure the *test* blogs are set to public as well. If the blog you are posting to is NOT public, it will NOT get picked up by sitewide tags (wherever the tags blog is)...."

This was the problem...

At some stage, the 'test' blog had had 'Public' set to 'No' in the standard settings (Under 'blog info (wp_blogs) - not the Privacy menu settings)... Don't think that is default, I must have done it when testing something else at some stage...

It now posts fine to either the '/tags' or the main blog depending on settings...

Thanks VERY VERY much for the help! :) Hope my stupidity helps someone else if they stumble on this lol...

16. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just a note that this:
    "(Under 'blog info (wp_blogs) - not the Privacy menu settings)."
    pulls the same settings. :)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from andrea_r