The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain mapping on Edublogs (30 posts)

1. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Heya y'all,

This is just us strutting our stuff, so please excuse a bit of smugness... but check it out: http://edublogs.org/2008/07/22/let-the-domains-begin/

Edublogs now has custom domain mapping!

It's integrated with the Enom API, and our custom upgrades plugin so people can just buy paypal credits to exchange for domains: http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/Upgrades

It's completely automated too - and people can even use subdomains via A records.

And has it taken a while? Yes it has! But we're pretty chuffed to have got it down.

Now for improvements :) So any suggestions or comments are more than welcome...

Cheers, James

2. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

i'm jealous.

3. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Congrats guys! Your other project looks amazing as well Farms!

Trent

4. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Jealous is good, so is congrats :)

I should stop taking any credit though as Luke and Andrew are the real architects: http://incsub.com/about/

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Oooooo! :D

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I see the bit about the 24 hours. Are you manually inserting the domain into the site or is that time in place to deal with dns updating?

7. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

The only think worth noting at the moment is that it will take 24 hours...

Thinking is a thing that should always be encouraged :)

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

I see the bit about the 24 hours. Are you manually inserting the domain into the site or is that time in place to deal with dns updating?

Everything is automated. The 24 hours is just to allow dns changes to propagate.

Thanks,
    Andrew

9. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it going to be offered as a premium plugin?

10. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it going to be offered as a premium plugin?

Afraid not. It requires integration with BIND and Apache and we try to make the premium plugins 'drop in and work' type plugins.

Thanks,
    Andrew

11. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm working on a domain mapping plugin. It almost works except for some object caching problems, and remote login.

Haven't had time to work on it in a few weeks though.

12. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

You released the multiple databases code to premium users, so i think you do know that there are advanced/professional users that would benefit from finally being able to offer their bloggers their own domain. Please consider it.

13. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, but if your not hosted on Apache or hosting your own DNS servers (like me) then it's simply not going to work, and providing something that could bring your entire system offline (if your bind or apache config is a bit different to Edublogs) if it goes wrong isn't very nice :)

14. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, but if your not hosted on Apache or hosting your own DNS servers (like me) then it's simply not going to work, and providing something that could bring your entire system offline (if your bind or apache config is a bit different to Edublogs) if it goes wrong isn't very nice :)

Exactly.

Donncha, what sort of object caching issues? I don't believe we ran into any cache issues but it may be a problem we just haven't discovered yet.

Thanks,
    Andrew

15. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

bait them with promises of cash, take the solution and run with it.

16. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Also, getting a reseller account set up on enom is no simple process I can tell ya... US$1500 min to start with for example!

17. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

$1500? They must have gone up. Used to only be a deposit of $100 when we got ours. We no longer use enom though.

18. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

hey, thats like 16 tanks of gas.

19. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's quite a bit of anything!

20. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Wow, talk about laughing all the way to the bank.
    http://www.enom.com/pricing.asp#reseller

21. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, reseller "Basic", $9.45, plans you can get for free from any other reseller ... no need to pay anything.

22. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nope, that would be the one with eth $495 set up fee... which we had to pay!

At $15 a domain, it's gonna take a fair few domains before we even get that paid off,

23. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrewbillits - re: object caching issues. I haven't seen it myself, trent did while testing my plugin. Can't imagine what they might be as the blog_id is the same, may have been some switch_to_blog calls or something. I recently fixed a(nother) bug in that.

24. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

Donncha - i can hardly wait

25. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Farms; every reseller can create subreseller account, that are exacly like reseller account, with all the API functions. To create this costs nothing and the price the subreseller get is $9.45 for the usual ones com/net/org. No need to pay anything for on $9.45-account.

26. JuanManuel
    Posted 15 years ago #

Bloggus is right I have an Enom account and I can give reseller account for free with $8.95 price for .com .net .org if interested just send me an email at juanmanuel.mx gmail.com

27. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well I have many subseller under mine account and as JuanManuel the price can be pushed to be $8.95 I think. I give out account at regularar basis to people, since I think eNom has great service. So whatever you do, don't pay money for the $8.95($9.45)-accounts.

Edit: after checking, I also create the $8.95-accounts...

28. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anyway ...

donncha, I really look forward to that plugin. Thanks for all the hard work you put in.

29. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrew,

Using the NeoSmart File based object-cache.php I was finding that it would pollute the cache of other blogs when the domain mapping was on. It would essentially bring up the theme of the first blog hit when the cache is reset for every single blog that is accessed afterwards. I haven't been able to track down why yet.

Trent

30. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

@bloggus / JuanManuel - Sigh :) Next time huh! Hopefully this thread will save people some money!

About this Topic