The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Permanent htaccess error after creating a subdomain (8 posts)

1. Chymera
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, so I finally figured out what happens. The thing is whenever I create a subdomain with cpanel and set the document root to /public_html/wordpress-mu-2.6/subblogname/
    the blog breaks.

And I mean the SUB-BLOG breaks (KABUM!), not just that the subdomain won't work, it screws the entire thing up, which leaves me getting this when I try to access the page:

Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.6 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.8.8 Server at mydomain.pula Port 80

and the cpanel error log tells me:

[Sat Aug 09 02:15:42 2008] [error] [client 80.129.6.132] client denied by server configuration: /home/myname/public_html/wordpress-mu-2.6/blogname/.htaccess

now the .htaccess file in the wpmu root seems quite fine to me (http://rafb.net/p/pRlgOE78.html), but I don't really know if it's the right one since subfolders with blog names don't physically exist on the server...

I'm willing to give up on the subdomain thing and just do a plain redirect; actually I can't care less at this point... HOW DO I GET MY BLOGS BACK?

2. Chymera
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was able to work around this by changing the blog names from the admin account, but it seems like the previous names are still broken.

Please do NOT referr me to some sites that have some astronomically complex way of overcoming the trivial task of handling subdomains, that can be done perfectly and with zero fuss with redirects. What I am interested in is getting those names "unlocked"

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

What the heck are you trying to DO?

"whenever I create a subdomain with cpanel and set the document root to /public_html/wordpress-mu-2.6/subblogname/
    the blog breaks."

Um, yeah. Nowhere in the instructions does it say to do that. that's not how the subdomains work in MU.

4. Chymera
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, I found out eventually that linking subdomains is as simple as pie :P .... but for the time being I get those errors and the previous blog names don't work any more.

Getting them repaired is, as previously stated, what I want to do. Any ideas?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Did you do the wildcard subdomain thing? Or ask your host to set it up?

6. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, I found out eventually that linking subdomains is as simple as pie :P ....

As per the WPMu installation instructions? Maybe this has nothing to do with what I had assumed...

It appears that you had a working installation, your subblogs were working as normal and then for some reason you started adding subdomains via cPanel (which is fine if you lock those subdomains out of WPMu through the WPMu admin e.g. a forum subdomain that you don't want the WPMu subdomain wildcard to interfere with...) < hint>Of course, I'm guessing and pulling teeth for information here < /hint>.

Yes, you've made it clear what it is that you're interested in and that getting the system repaired is what you want to do.

If you'd be so kind as to grace us with some trivial contextual information, we can try to not misdirect you away from your problem's silver bullet.

7. Chymera
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea
    No, I did not. But it has no relevance to repairing those blogs.

@musnake
    Of course, I'm guessing and pulling teeth for information here

Maybe you should just read the initial post instead, what exactly is it that you did not understand?

If you'd be so kind as to grace us with some trivial contextual information

Again, read the initial post, what exactly is it that you did not understand?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Neither one of us can understand why you're creating a subdomain in cpanel for a sub-blog.

Maybe if you could explain what it is you're trying to ultimately accomplish, we'd have a better idea.

The only thing I can get from your initial post (which I've read a few times already) - is that you're creating blogs using a subfolder install and then trying to use Cpanel to map that folder to a subdomain.

if that's not it, feel free to explain what you're trying to do, not just what's going wrong with it.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Chymera
  • Latest reply from andrea_r