The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

redirect loop (54 posts)

1. corbosman
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ive seen some posts on a redirect loop. I had the same problem. I did a fresh install of 2.6 and afterwards I could not login to the admin pages due to a loop. Im positive I did not have any problems with htaccess or config. Everything was generated by WPMU, and my PHP and Apache setup are fine (they've been running 1.5.1 without a problem).

Since I had a working 1.5.1 setup, I could see what differences there are. I narrowed it down to the SECRET_SALT.

This works:

define('SECRET_SALT','ithinkitsuniqueallrightareyousureyes');

This doesnt work (auto-generated by WPMU):

define('SECRET_SALT','210a82586667a37e1f28cda87fcb15767d1756032a4395fd62285a80332e65dc');

This may be whats hitting everyone that's reporting this issue. The SECRET_SALT that is auto-generated by the install for wp-config.php seems to be causing the redirect loop. Maybe some cookie issue.

2. petelingo
    Posted 15 years ago #

Dear Corbosman,

I'm also afflicted by this bug (and countless others I won't mention here). But this one is more than an annoyance. I'm reading to pull my hair out over this. I've scoured all blogs, high and low for a solution. I've tried umpteen different solutions from fiddling around with secret_salt and admin_cookie_path, disabling and re-enabling cookies, reinstalling MU several times and even modifying bits of code in wp-signup.php on the suggestion of forum members. Nothing. Nothing seems to work. How can something so fundamental have made it out of the release stream? (Not to sound overly critical or to take the steam out of the opensource engine but exponential and rapid software development often brings with it more headaches than benefits). As so many people will attest, I'm sure, MU 2.6 falls considerably short. Very disappointing.

The problem still persists so if anyone has a solution, don't keep it a secret!

Pete.

3. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

petelingo,

He does mention that to fix it he changed his SECRET_SALT value to all letters. If that doesn't fix it, then you are experiencing a different problem. A redirect loop can be caused by a lot of things, so blaming MU is a silly assumption unless you know exactly what's causing it.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Especially since there seems to be only a few people with the issue - not everyone.

If it happens in every case, then it's a real bug.

5. petelingo
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks all for your responses but I can't help feel that you may not be aware of just how many people are experiencing the problem. Do a little digging and all will be revealed.

Anyhow, I was rather hoping for constructive suggestions on what could be causing the issues rather than blind, devout commitment to Wordpress.

Any other ideas on unravelling the mystery?

6. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've installed the most recent download package on no less than six different servers in the past two weeks alone and I've come across this issue exactly once.

Even then it was not related to logging in to the main domain, but a mapped domain. The problem in that case was the server setup.

Is there anything in your error logs?
    What about Apache? What the max_redirect limit set to? What about memory? Do you have AllowOverride all in the httpd.conf file so the server will recognize and read the htaccess file?
    Are you on a shared host or a VPS/dedicated?

Haven't seen any trac tickets filed about this either.

8. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Blind, devout commitment? All I said was it's silly to blame WPMU when you don't even know what's causing it. Almost every day there is a thread where someone has a "internal error 500" or "white/blank screen", so don't you think when you make a post that, half of which, is complaining about the standards of WPMU falling short, and doesn't have any specific information about your problem, that you will most likely NOT get constructive comments on how to fix the problem? Do you know what the most common cause of redirect loops are? Server misconfiguration. Best of luck.

9. flywitness
    Posted 15 years ago #

Confirmed here.

Intall wpmu files into root = endless loop. (tested 6 times)
    Install wpmu files into a subdir = fine. (tested 2 times)

It only fails when selecting the option to use Sub-directories (like example.com/blog1). Selecting the subdomains version works fine.

I think this is a big fat bug.

Now, where the trac system....

10. carlcecsearchcom
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am having this exact same issue (as flywitness). Is there any word as to what can be done as a work-around to prevent this?

I tried the 'secret salt' change but that did not work.

11. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Out of curiosity, does changing the secret back to:

define('SECRET_SALT','put your unique phrase here');

get it working again? I have actually seen that before believe it or not and it might help isolate the problem.

Trent

12. xiudog
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am having exactly the same problem. I had a fresh install of WPMU 2.6.1 using subdirectory option. The installation was sucessful and I got the email message with login page URL and admin id and password. But I could not log on using the default admin account. I then clicked on Lost Your Password link to try to generate a new passowrd, but that did not work. When I tried to access the blog site, I got into the infinite loop redirect error. This has to be a bug. I am surprised no one has a solution for it.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's not a bug.

It's not a bug because some of us have tried to verify it and get the same error and we can't. It's mostly likely a server configuration issue.

14. jbassgtr
    Posted 15 years ago #

It is a bug if many people are experiencing it. I am having the same problem. Wordpress and countless other software works just fine, but Wordpress MU in subdirectory configuration give me an infinite loop when trying to login. Someone please come up with a fix :(

15. ixley
    Posted 15 years ago #

getting the same problem with subdirectories selected...

16. stevewanless
    Posted 15 years ago #

I too am having the same issue when I select to use sub-directories. It's not my server set up because I had it running fine, then deleted everything (and I mean everything) for a fresh install to use sub directories (not sub domains as I started with).

Now all I get is the redirect loop. Cant even view the site.

Has anyone over come this issue and still working with sub directories???

17. dantowitz
    Posted 15 years ago #

18. wraith012
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi All,

Not sure if this will help,smarter people than i solve this issue. but here it goes.

I started off with the newest as of today fresh install, I was able to login and mess about, I thought it would be cool to have the multi-site manager so I installed it, that went ok no problems yet tried to add another site, seemed to work ok, but when i went to the other iste i had added it was blank, well I don' know much about this program so i thought well maybe it is because it have not content or blog with it. so I saw a think called assign blogs, so I clicked it, i think i transferred the root blogs to the second site, that is when i have the loop problem it just kept sending me to a new sign up and safari and firefox would not open a page due to, too many redirects.

I tried all the suggestions in this post and many more, but I was unable to get any of them to work. I am on a linux server.

So in the end I am just starting over, I am not really out much since I have even built a site yet, I feel for you all that have yours built and I hope someone can get this fixed.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"i think i transferred the root blogs to the second site, that is when i have the loop problem"

Yeah, that would do it.

On a fresh install with no plugins, try adding a test blog and making sure that works BEFORE you install anything else.

20. helmi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok i just did a fresh 2.7 install with the package just downloaded. I did a subdirectory install - everything went well. After not installing ANY plugin i setup another user and after logging out and trying to login with the new (or the old) user i get exactly this problem with firefox and safari on latest osx.

None of the hints here changed anything :-S

21. sirspankalotuk
    Posted 15 years ago #

funny happenings

I have been getting this error in subdomain mode with the latest software installed on a shared host in the main root for the domain (.i.e not in a folder). Installed software fine, can log in via the admin user and pass fine. But the instant I register another user (subscriber), authorise the user fine, then attempt to login, it bombs with the redirect issue.

server logs show a 302 error: - - [06/Feb/2009:16:48:42 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 302 - "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6"

but this error disappears as soon as I make a blog for the user. The user can then login.

Is this how it is intended to work, or is this a bug?

22. sirspankalotuk
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have discovered that when I add a user using the admin toolbar > Users > add users link, that the role is ignored (only tested for subscriber), because when I edited the user it was listed as "no role for this blog", as soon as I changed that to subscriber, the user can then login.

There is definitely a bug in the add user code somewhere

23. peeta
    Posted 15 years ago #

I looked into this a bit today and found out the following. When you add user to main blog via toolbar > Users > add users link, user is not added like it should be, roles and some other stuff disappears in the way. But when you do the same thing in sub-blog, user gets created as it should, so I think this is borderline between bug and "feature". I think, that function is working as intented, but shouldn't be shown under main blog since it clearly doesn't work there. In main blog you should add users via Site admin->Users->Add user. Hope this helps and hope this will be fixed soon.

24. thommeredith
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have been having the same problems, I noticed that when I went to Site Admin > Users, I could edit the new user and noticed that there were no permissions for the blog that I set up.

I changed the permissions and was able to login, finally!

25. aelroy
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had the same problem with redirect loop after install, though I used the sub-domain configuration, not sub-directory.

I attempted a reinstall a couple of times with the same results. The third time I deleted the database associated with WPMU through MySQL in addition to deleting all the files and folders, and started from scratch. This time it worked.

I think this may have to do with an entry error I made with the very first installation, which somehow remained persistent even after fresh installs.

26. davethom
    Posted 15 years ago #

I posted this on another topic, but in case it helps anyone finding this thread.

this is what worked for me

Wordpress-mu gives the server redirect loop on a Plesk control panel server in a vhost when installed in a web sub-directory
    unless
    you “chmod -R apache” on the install sub-directory. this is reproducible. Even chmodding 777 the install dir and wp-content dir as default user still gave redirect loop

27. arajara
    Posted 15 years ago #

I currently can't create another user in my install of WPMU because it will cause this redirect loop. So, hoping to hear about a final solution.

28. ben_allison
    Posted 15 years ago #

Over here, installing in root + sub-directories = redirect loop.

Removing the Sacred Salt block didn't help.

Adding the wp-config.php hacks I've found on here hasn't helped either.

Anger.

29. dainismichel
    Posted 15 years ago #

After installing to sitename.org/subfolder (with an existing wp install at sitename.org), I ran into looping, so I installed to subdomain.sitename.org, which worked, but I had selected subdomains, so blogs attempted to create themselves here:

username.subdomain.sitename.org, which did not work.

So then, I thought, OK, I've got this figured out. I'll install to

subdomain.sitename.org and then select subdirectories, so that buddypress uses subdomain.sitename.org/username for blogs, which is fine.

Lo and behold, here is da bug...

So, if I buy another domain name, install into root, and choose subdirectories, will it work?

Also, is there a faster way than deleting all of the files on my server and then re-uploading via FTP?

I got all excited when I saw BuddyPress working, and no, I am not a coding guru, decent IT skills, lots of work on the web, but not a programmer. Also, can I just allow everyone to post to the blog? Maybe that's a better way than having them create their own blogs.

I'm looking for an installable solution to run BuddyPress basically out-the-box. I'll go in and place the widgets, and I'll change the graphics, but I don't really "want" much more.

I understand that wordpress mu and buddypress are not the same thing, it's just that the only reason I'm using wordpress mu is because buddypress requires it.

Friendly words would be much appreciated after 8hrs of uploading, configuring, trying, deleting, reuploading, configuring, hoping...repeat.

OK, best wishes,
    Dainis

30. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Upload the zip to your server, unpack it there. No need to keep re-uploading files.

An ebook on how to install WPMU

And yes. If you install it on a new web account, should be fine.

The problem was probably related to it being in a folder. Also, if you get a new domain and use it as an add-on domain to your current hosting account, you may run into issues.

We're been trouble-shooting a lot of problems over in our paid support forum.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by corbosman
  • Latest reply from derosion