The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Anybody use local SVN and merges the changes? (14 posts)

1. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anybody here that use your own SVN to merge the version with your own changes?

Before I just could merge with trunk (until 2.6 was released), but lately "branches" or used to and its puzzle me a little bit.

What should I merge with now; branches, trunk? or?

How do you do now?

2. jamescollins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, I merge WPMu into our own SVN repository, then re apply several core file cusotmisations.

Given that we run many sites off WPMU, we only use an actual WPMU tagged release.

I just check out something like tags/2.6, then copy these files over the ones in our repository, then readd our core file modifications.

I'm just waiting for 2.6.1 to be released (mon or tues), then I'll merge tags/2.6.1 into our repository then svn up all our sites.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

We do the same thing but we keep up on the changesets instead of waiting for the tagged releases. We export out a patch from trac.mu, import it to a local test install, test it, apply it to our SVN if it works else editing it until it does, and then export out the patch out of our SVN and apply it on our installs.

I stress the "We test it first" bit up there. We don't apply patches blindly.

We do it out of the changesets as it keeps us up on bug fixes and security concerns. That's important to us. We host and "watch over" a large number of mu sites and to have our clients months behind what's current is not acceptable to us or to our clients.

We have a fair amount of custom code within our mu installs though as we would rather apply our code changes directly to the code base instead of plugins when possible. That may or may not work for you.

4. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the answers, both of you.

I probably have less custom code in core than you, but stil I have it, so I have to watch over it.

Seems like I will have to merge only the stable tagged version, to make it easier on myself, since changes are applied both in trunk and branches from now on.

tdjcbe;
    so you do that for every patch? Thats is quite some work, I guess. Do you also them merge with the tagged versions (if you maybe missed something) or you are satisfied with the changesets along the way?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you read along in trac, Donncha also makes notes every so often about not rolling in recent changes (depending) on a production server.

Always always test somewhere first.

6. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Of course I do that, andrea_r. I have a test website I use for testing before I update sies. But I thought is was easier to work agains trunk all the time before, previous the introduction to branches ...

7. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I basically run my production site off of trunk. Whenever I feel it's SAFE to update to trunk, i test it locally first (which is a mirrored copy of the live site) then if everything checks out, i svn update the production copy. If it breaks the site for some unknown reason, it's pretty easy to SVN revert in a few seconds. Since I watch trac pretty closely, i know when and what code is changing which tells me what to watch out for, and also when to update ASAP. Most of the time, running on trunk is pretty safe.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

the branches are just tagged versions off of trunk. same thing.

9. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

But andrea_r ... isn't it this way, that you can make changes in a branch and not in trunk? I think it is common of what I can see in trac now, which means that some changes are made in trunk and some are made in branches.

MrBrian:
    if some changes are applied to trunk and some to branches, then trunk is not always the latest version of all or? So in that way how will you be making your updates now? You used the trunk before, but some changes are now applied to the latest branch ...

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

In the regular version of WP, they had a crazyhorse branch to test the new UI.

(oh, i just looked in trac.. huh.)

you'll have to check or ask Donncha if he's rolling in trunk over the the 2.6 branch or not.

11. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

bloggus:

Trunk is always the latest version of code. A tag (also known as branch) is just a "snapshot" of WPMU in time, and is given a version name. They are generally considered more stable than trunk.

12. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I tend to only update from a tagged release on the production server, but will sometimes update from the trunk to a test server.
    I never make changes to the core files though, so I don't have any merging problems to mess around with.

13. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks.

I'm just used to SVN completely and learning to use in more and more in my projects.

Although I don't really get why som latest changesets are just applied to the latest branch and not to the trunk ... so when the 2.6.1 beta was rolled out, is it the latest trunk or the latest branch of 2.6 ?

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Dunno, the link in the other thread is in a different spot. I would assume ( 50/50 chance of being right here) that it would be the latest out of trunk.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by bloggus
  • Latest reply from andrea_r