The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Password protected... or NOT? (12 posts)

1. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

At my job:
    ----------
    Mac
    Firefox 3 and Safari

I created a password protected page. I logged out and visited that page but couldn't see the content as it is password protected. Fine, works as it should.

At my home:
    -----------
    PC
    Firefox 2 and IE7

I could (and still can) see the page content without entering the password:o

2. basszje
    Posted 15 years ago #

Try to refresh the browser, maybe you are looking at a cached version?

Other thing to remember is that wordpress asks for the password only once and then remembers it until you change the password.

3. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Refreshed it 20 times:)

Hrmmm... I didn't really understood this last thing you said. I'll try to 'decode' it at wordpress.org:)

Cheers

EDIT: Were You talking about cookies maybe? That sounds like a possibility. So If I enter password it will be stored until I delete cookies or change the password?

Thanks

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Right, but that would make sense on on the same computer. Any chance both work and home use the same IP?

5. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

What kind of server side caching you have installed, if any.

I had a I'm stupid moment where I was disabled Super-Cache but didn't delete the already cached files. So I spent the whole day logged in, with my changes while visitors saw messed up code/css :(

6. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea - same computer

@Klarko thanks for sharing your "I'm stupid" experience cause I would probably do the same thing:)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

same computer?

I thought in the OP you said you tried on a mac at work and on a PC at home?

8. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sorry, my bad. I think that problem (if it was a problem) is solved. I've probably entered (back at home / PC) that password and forgot about it. Since then I didn't delete cookies and I believe that's the thing. You are trying to say that WPMU remembers my IP and that's why I was able to see that page?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was thinking cookies set by IP.

10. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

But of course you did. I'm just a designer;P

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ah, but if you're a *good* designer then you're worth your weight in gold. :)

12. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

You'll see the result, here at this forum, 10 - 15 days from now. WPMU project of course. Than we'll see how good I am or am I *good* at all.

Golden {Boy (George (Constanza));}

About this Topic