The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Wordpress MU still not worth it if under 10 blogs? (6 posts)

1. cjInChicago
    Posted 15 years ago #

(I read this in a post on this forum (http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3493#post-22142), and wonder if it's still true. If I have several blogs on different topics, and with different domain names, does it make sense for me to have Wordpress MU?

Also, can someone who doesn't know PHP, etc. maintain MU as long as someone knowledgeable installs it?

Thanks for your help.

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think it does make sense if you have say 5 sites that you Administer over. Easy to upgrade them all, easier to manage plugins, etc.

All depending on how you look at it, I guess.

3. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, I think it makes sense to use MU if you are running multiple blogs (and are likely to be adding more in the future, which is easier than making a new directory and database and then running through the install, uploading your plugins and themes, etc).

1 "checkout" to install them all, 1 "update" to upgrade them, and that's were my attempt at integrating WPMU and Tolkien fails miserably.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

And it's run by Hobbits.

For the OP, if you pay someone to set it up for you, and it's not an open free setup, and you're reasonably comfortable with WP to begin with, AND you don't mind the occasional troubleshooting for new plugins and waiting for a different upgrade schedule,

then you should be fine. :)

5. cjInChicago
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the replies. Andrea, what do you mean by "an open free setup"?

By different upgrade schedule, do you mean different from Wordpress?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

open free setup, as in you let the general public sign up for a free blog.

Different upgrade schedule - WPMU is not developed on the same schedule as regular WP. Lately we're always behind. :)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by cjInChicago
  • Latest reply from andrea_r