The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

regardin gsitewide tags and more (13 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just wanted to try and sum up the different possibilities to to this and make sure I got it right:

a)either you get all posts/tags/categories into the main blog
    b)get all posts/tags/categories into another blog, be it a separate wp blog or a subblog of the wpmu install

if you opt for a) you could either use
    - an aggregator getting everything into the main blog
    - donncha's sitewide tagging plugin
    - a combination of leogermani's plugins, letting people vote whic harticles get into the main blog, or manually chose then via his repost plugin

this enables you to show off a cool tag cloud, that uses most of the tags/categories used on your wpmu install without a click on any of the tags in the tag cloud leading away from the main blog

if you opt for b) you can use the same tools as above but your tag cloud will lead away from teh main blog if people click on tags, right?

I mean I have seen the given examples of wordpress.com/tags and wordpress.com/tags/politics but we can't achieve that easily, can we?

###edit###
    just noticed edublogs.org/ frontpage. The tags they use there, don't lead away from the main page but still produce a list of posts from the whole wpmu install, any ideas how that has been done?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Edublogs has their own custom built thingy I think.

What about something like this?
    http://homeschooljournal.net/tags/

Sure, it's categories, but I don't see much difference in using tags instead.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea:

the site you linked to, looks nice, I wouldn't care much if its categories or tags, as the purpose is only to show what the community is talking about :-)
    so how did you pull that trick off?

btw. the page you linked to has some mysql errors at the bottom you might wanna take care of.

###edit###
    actually one just has to make up his mind: pull all posts into his main blog gives you a wide variety of tools to show off sitewide tags/categories while on the other hand, selectively pulling posts in takes care of greater quality but doesn't fully represent the community's "topics"

4. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

BTW, Donncha's Sitewide Tags can be the main blog. I haven't done it that way but it looks like dev/trunk version can do it either way.

Ovidiu said: I mean I have seen the given examples of wordpress.com/tags and wordpress.com/tags/politics but we can't achieve that easily, can we?

Easy-peezy. Use normal wordpress stuff you would do to a single blog to achieve a category/tags page.

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@dsader:
    a) yes, donncha's plugin can target the main blog
    b) not really unless all the aggregating goes into the main blog, then yes it can be done, but as far as I am concerned I don't see a way to do that if the aggregating goes into tags.blog.com as I see no way to show all those tags on blog.com i.e. I can make a tag cloud page on blog.com/tags but as soon as someone clicks on i.e. politics he won't see blog.com/tag/politics like in the wordpress example but he'll land straight at tags.blog.com/tag/politics and thats what really bothers me, what good is all that stuff if it keeps pushing my visitors away from the main blog?

or do I have a fundamental flaw in seeing these things?

6. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

You explained it well. I'm guessing that's why Donncha's added the main blog as an option. By using identical templates/menus on both main blog and tags blog, how would a visitor know otherwise?

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

thx :-) I finally come to grasp the whole idea of this sitewide hype ;-)

well, if I were to use the same theme/template/menus on the main blog and the tags blog, thats almost the same as drmike's solution using an external wp blog for the tags...

I think I'll either aggregate all posts/categories into my main blog or wait to see how the whole community thinggy evolves.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

The example I gave above *is* drmike's sulution. It's a seperate WP install wih the same theme as the main blog. :)

If it's all part of the same site, and the visitor can't tell where the data comes from, then it not really being "on" the main blog is a non-issue.

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

well a visitor can always look at the URL, and thats gonna give it away, right?

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does my example above give it away? :)

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

no :-)
    BUT I'd bet you aggregated all posts/tags/categories into your main blog, right? If thats right, I know how to achieve that.

otherwise I'd be interested how you get http://homeschooljournal.net/tags/ to point to your site if one clicks on a tag like: http://www.homeschooljournal.net/tags/category/books/

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

include_file("URL"); works for us. :)

We used to use an iframe but Firefox users had an issue with seeing it.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

the tags page I linked to is a *completely separate WP install*. It just uses an autoposter/autofeed plugin to aggregate everything from the sitewide feed and keeps the original post links. :D

Use the same theme, stick in a couple manual links if you have to, and there ya go. Visitor doesn't know the difference.

I never have to touch the other install.

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3247 is what I did.

About this Topic