The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU Subdomains and server subdomains (17 posts)

1. Leo6681
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey Everyone,
    Here is the problem I am faced with. I am not very technical and despite having read the read me file as well as many posts on this forum and I can't seem to make head nor tail of what DNS wildcards are, how they work and how to re-configure .htaccess etc etc.

My Problem
    I am able to create a blog in a subdomain
    e.g. newblog.domain.tld

however for that subdomain I would also like the capability to create email addresses
    e.g. johndoe@newblog.domain.tld

When I create the blog it works fine. However when I then create the subdomain to create the email addresses. The blog I created stops working and I get a 500 internal server error.

So My Questions are:

-Is it possible for me to achieve what it is I am trying to achieve?
    -If yes how?

Thanks in advance for your replies

2. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

What server are you running? Is it hosted or a VPS? Does it use Cpanel? Is your email hosted on the domain or externally?

It is very possible, but it depends on your set up as to how it is accomplished.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

to be honest I don't think you can make that work, because if you create that blog, wpmu is taking care of the subdomain, i.e. blog.domain.com so whenever someone requests blog.domain.com due to the wildcard dns you have set up any subdomain points to wpmu install which takes care of all possible subdomains.
    If you now create the subdomain inside your control panel, I am pretty sure that will take away the subdomain from wpmu's control.

just my 2c

4. Leo6681
    Posted 15 years ago #

The server specs are

* Dual Quad Core Intel® Xeon® 3.16GHz with 2X6MB Cache
    * 8 GB RAM
    * Dual 136 GB SCSI Drive (for the operating system)
    * RAID Mirroring (for the operating system)
    * Dual Power Supplies
    * Dual Gigabit Network Adapters

the website is hosted and it uses a cpanel called eXtend Cpanel it is not your typical cPanel interface.

My mail server is mail.mydomain.com

5. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

You don't need to change the web side of things at all, you have your wildcard subdomain and WPMU handling that side of things.

It's all about the MX records in your DNS and what they point to on your e-mail server (which could be the same machine).

6. Leo6681
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey Ovidiu,
    You may very well be right. It was just an idea. Would be very cool if it could be implemented though.
    I suppose I could always create the domain name and put an install of Wordpress on it and run the site like that. It would just be a massive pain to keep having to update all the time.

7. Leo6681
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey Cafespain,
    Not sure if that answer was directed at me but if so what is an MX record and what would I need to change to implement something like this?
    When I create a subdomain it my host asks me which folder I would like the subdomain to point to.
    Would the location of this file affect whether or not this is possible?

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

you mean you don't really need wpmu, you would be fine with a couple of wp blogs as well?

Then I suggest staying away from wpmu if wp can help you achieve what you need.
    Besides that there are a couple of plugins, which help you manage several instances of wp from one codebase i.e. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-oneinstall/

besides that, I didn't say its impossible, just that I don't think it can be done and thats based on my current knowledge, so someone might be able to prove me wrong.

I.e. I am not sure if you can set up an MX for i.e. blog.domain.com if you don't set up that subdomain as well, but its worth a try: set up an MX for blog.domain.com but where woudl you point it? Sorry this is a littel over my head, jsut wait for a more qualified answer :-)

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Leo6681

to be completely honest with you, and please take this as constructive criticism, if you have to ask this:

Not sure if that answer was directed at me but if so what is an MX record

you are not qualified to run wpmu as you will need a lot more in-depth knowledge of how a server works.

This is not to discourage you, as I also started with 0 knowledge, just to let you know, you should and need to learn a lot more about server stuff like apache/php etc.

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

But if you still wanna play around, look for DNS management, your control panel should give you such an option.
    Go find it, read teh help files, come back with more questions :-)

11. Leo6681
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ovidiu

Constructive criticism appreciated! :)
    I am a complete newbie to WPMU. I have built quite a few wordpress blogs. I thought WPMU would be a cool tool to build many blogs in one place

12. Leo6681
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Ovidiu

I have access to DNS management area but I just do not know enough to change them and haven't found any explanation for dummies floating around yet :)

13. toliapriyanka@yahoo.in
    Posted 15 years ago #

hi

Can any one tell how i create subdomain in my WPMU

I DID......

1 My cpanel allow me add subdomains. so i add subdomain like blogs1.tld.com & it is added.

2 then i moved to admin side. In menu
    in site Admin -> blogs -> i add blogs named blogs1 & they give me the links like: blogs1.tld1.com

3 But i m not able to open this link.
    CAN ANYONE TELL HOW I MAKE SUBDOMAIN BECAUSE IT IS NECESSORY FOR MY SITE.

Advance THANX

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's not how you do it. there's no need to add subdomains in cpanel. There's a file called README.txt that was in the download for WPMU. Please read it. It has instructions for setting up wildcard subdomains, which is what MU need to work.

15. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

Leo6681: "When I create a subdomain it my host asks me which folder I would like the subdomain to point to.
    Would the location of this file affect whether or not this is possible?"
    yes it affects. if you point it to the same folder as wpmu root folder then it should work. but that's not the most correct way. can you set new e-mail address without setting that subdomain?

16. Leo6681
    Posted 15 years ago #

@qdinar:
    I can set new email adresses for the tld.
    e.g. anything@mysite.com

However I can only create email addresses that use the subdomain after I have created the subdomain on my control panel. So if I wanted the email address anything@mysubdomain.mysite.com I would have to create the subdomain through my control panel first. However as soon as I create the subdomain in control panel I get a 500 internal server error when I try and get access to the blog.

Hope this makes sence. Any suggestions?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Use something else, like your domain registrar or google apps if you really want emails off your subdomains.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Leo6681
  • Latest reply from andrea_r