The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Register Globals Question (3 posts)

1. successt
    Posted 15 years ago #

When talking with my sever admin about installing WPMU on our server. And we have a script that needs register globals on so we want to know if we could do the following:

=======================
    In the end, you may ultimately need to contact the vendor, and tell them that you are on a server using suPHP, thus directives such as php_admin_value
    and php_admin_flag don't go into .htaccess files. Instead, directives such as "register_globals = off" are placed inside a file called php.ini that exists in the
    *same* directory as the script(s) that require globals to be off. This allows any local user to override the server's settings in the global php.ini file.
    =======================

The purpose of this would be to ask the vendor exactly *everywhere* register_globals needs to be disabled.

For example, if it needs to be disabled for these scripts:
    wordpressmu/path/to/script1.php
    wordpressmu/otherpath/script2.php

then we know we can create a custom php.ini file with this line: register_globals = off

and place it inside these directories:
    wordpressmu/path/to/
    wordpressmu/otherpath/

Thanks in advace for your suport

2. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I would do it the other way around and enable register globals for your other script. register_globals is a horrid directive security wise, especially since scripts that require it are usually of poor coding. I believe you don't need to place a php.ini in every directory as long as you put a line like this in your .htaccess
    suPHP_ConfigPath /home/user/public_html

3. successt
    Posted 15 years ago #

Right; but, doing so would likely break other scripts. Doesn't seem like that would be a viable option, we would have to go site by site and script by script checking for issues after the change is made. This is what we are trying to avoid.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by successt
  • Latest reply from successt