The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Request/suggestion: Auto update? (13 posts)

1. CM30
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just a suggestion for upcoming releases of MUWP, is the admin side have a way so we can click on a link and the site will automatically download any updates and install them!

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think functionality like this depends on regular Wordpress development. And it looks like 2.7 has "Automatic Upgrade of Wordpress" listed as a feature.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

... which may or may not make it into MU, given the links & process would be different.

I believe Donncha said before he thought an auto-update for MU would be a bad idea. that was partly because development is on a different schedule as well.

So while I really don't know officially, I don't think it would be a good thing overall, and if it was included, it would have to be re-done.

4. wep
    Posted 15 years ago #

yes, in dashboard link upgrade. In version 2.6.1 with trunk files, and version 2.6.2 rc.

Thank you for creating with WordPress MU 2.6.2-rc | Documentation
    and now --- > In wpmu 2.6.2 rc1 msg ------>This is WordPress version 2.6.2.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"yes, in dashboard link upgrade. "

Um, that doesn't upgrade the files...

6. wep
    Posted 15 years ago #

certain, I delete msg, because not upgrade automatic.

7. maconmacguy
    Posted 15 years ago #

This would be really nice - but I wonder if it's practical. Given all the things that can go wonky in an auto-upgrade, and that a WPMU install inherently has more layers going on.... it may not be worth the risk.

Just a thought!

8. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Laziness rules the world :) Or it doesn't? ;)

How much time will you save if you had auto-update button? 5 minutes every 1-2 months? :)

9. bschwarting
    Posted 15 years ago #

what's the latest on this one? auto update a no go on MU 2.7?

10. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd vote for no auto-update and an option to turn of the message that a newer version is available.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

AFAIK, auto-update won't be happening and there's a filter around the update message -which is only shown to Site Admins anyway.

12. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

boo the auto-update. my lil site is hacked to death. the last thing anyone needs is an auto update overwriting all the stuff i've spent years duct taping

13. bschwarting
    Posted 15 years ago #

good stuff, thanks everyone. i would love to see the auto-update as an option. the more i use WPMU, the more i see the lack of need for hacks. it just causes more problems and work in the long run. if there isn't a plugin to fix your problem, write it and don't hack. just a thought.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by CM30
  • Latest reply from bschwarting