The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

regarding multiple domains for wpmu (14 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am not sure for what terms to search so I'll go ask my question here although I am sure it has been previously discussed.

I'd like to have several domains i.e. zice.ro and zice.md both pointing to the same wpmu install.

Possible? what would I need in terms of configuration and/or plugins?

Can I use this in combination with donncha's domain mapping plugin too?

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do a WPMU install on one of those domains and add another domain as an alias.
    Or do you need more complicated functionality?

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

well, can I offer blogs for mywpmu.com and mywpmu.net on the same installation? blogs should be in the format myblog.mywpmu.com or myblog.mywpmu.net

what more complicated functionality could one have? :-)

4. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

If I were you, I'd play with this: http://wpmu.org/wpmu-enterprise/

Looks quite promising, although I haven't tried it yet :)

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

my proxy won't let me visit that site now but I found this: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager seems to be exactly what I was looking for :-)

6. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Still consider looking at my choice :)
    An abstract from there:

WPMU-Enterprise allows the site admins to have multi, multi-user blogs on one install of wordpress.

Objective:

Starting with WP 1.5, many of us had to find a solution to upgrade/manage mutiple sinlge wp blogs. This was solved with the release of wpmu. From there, many of us then had to figure out a way to upgrade/manage multiple mu blogs. This is an attempt to solve this problem.

Features:

1. Multiple MU blogs ex. domain1.com, domain2.com, subdomain.domain1.com, etc.
    2. Different site admins for each mu blog.
    3. Different mu blogs are maintained as companies
    4. Each site admin is given it’s own company to manage blogs, sites and users.
    5. Domain name mapping

Requirements:

WPMU 2.6.1

Pros:

1. Manage multiple mu-sites with one wordpress install.
    2. Assign site admins to companies and restrict their access to blogs, users.

Cons:

1. Have to edit 3 core files.

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

sounds delicious :-( will read all about it as soon as I am home. work proxy has problems, choking on that particular site :-(

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

But it doesn't say if the mapped subdomains can also offer sub-blogs, which I think is what Ovi was going for.

Ovi, if you were only going to do this a small number of times, with a limited amount of domains, I'd suggest doing it manually.

http://bui4ever.com/web-itecture/wordpress_mu_with_domain_mapping/

Old instructions, close enough.
    The only other way to do what you want is to use the Multi-Site manager plugin, which is... eh.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

ovi - this one might also help, I dunno.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Pick-a-Site

Worth looking at.

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea

thx, especially for the second pick a site link. sounds exactly what I need.

to give you more details: I am building a blogging platform for romanian bloggers and Romanians and Modavians both speak romanian so I planned to register mydomain.ro and mydomain.md and let them chose for which site they want to register...

of course with the pick a site plugin, you'd actually have 2 virtual hosts, and two installations of wpmu as far as I understand but I think this plugin can be combined with one of the other two plugins mentioned over here so that I actually have to manage only one wpmu installation while offering two domains to pick from...

but I have to think this through, as I am still unsure what is more desirable.
    if I have two installs I can completely separate them, if its only one for both, I have to check if feeds from both can be combined or not...

lot of stuff to think about :-)

thanks for all your input.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

if its only one for both, then yes feeds from both can be combined if that's a dealbreaker.

(is from Canada where everything is done in English and French)

12. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

In the Wordpress community there seems to be mixed opinions on using the Multisite Manager plugin.

I've been using this plugin from when I first set up our WPMU server. Currently I have 12 'sites' (all with different domains) under one WPMU install (domains parked via our VPS), with subdomains hanging off some of these sites (maybe 40 subdomains in total across all the sites).

I've had no significant problems when setting up these sites - Multisite Manager has behaved as expected and looking at the MySQL stuff I can't really see anything too drastic that it's doing in any case. In fact the plug in seems to pretty much automate the manual process as detailed here.

Incidentally I'm also running Plugin Commander which on the whole works fine across multiple sites and sub domains (cforms II and Sitewide Tags have been the only two that have caused me a little grief - I've got a solution for cforms but nothing for Sitewide Tags yet).

The other solution I noticed for multi site maintenance is Donnchas new Domain Manager plugin. But having read his own comments (as well as those of users), this really isn't ready for release on a production server yet and there are still some fairly significant missing features.

Interesting to read about WPMU Enterprise though - one I hadn't heard of until now.

But anyway, personally, I give a thumbs up to Multisite Manager!

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"In fact the plug in seems to pretty much automate the manual process as detailed here."

It looks like it does, but if you actually read the plugin code, it doesn't.

also, if you have sub-blogs off the main blog, and also Sites, the ID numbers are off. The will be off for Sites by as many sub-blogs you have on the main site. Say I have three sub-blogs off the main install and a few sites. The Site ID will show as 12 in the backend, but will actually be 15 in the database.

It also entirely gets rid of the blog's Edit page.

"But having read his own comments (as well as those of users), this really isn't ready for release on a production server yet and there are still some fairly significant missing features."

??? News to me. I have it running on production servers just fine. The "significant" missing features is probably referencing the whole "it's not exactly like wp.com!" which it will never be, because parts of that they aren't releasing.

Donncha's plugon maps domains just fine. haven't had an error or issue with it yet. It's slim and lightweight. if you want to have sub-blogs use their own domain, this is the one to use.

The only up side to the MSM plugin is if you want one of those sub-blogs with a mapped domain to have the ability to have sub-blogs off of them.

14. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r: interesting, so I checked on our set up and Blog ID and Site ID numbers do correctly match up between the front and backend.

So if this was the only issue, then I'm still not clear why the mixed response over this plugin - perhaps previous versions have scarred some of the community!

But from my current experience (and just for the record for other users who are looking for a similar solution), I'm running Multisite Manager 004 with MU 2.6 and everything is working as expected.

About this Topic