The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

When to use /mu-plugins/ and /plugins/ folders? (5 posts)

1. Success
    Posted 15 years ago #

If a plugin is not explicitly stated for WPMU, how do I know which folders to put for that plugin?

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

this has been covered hundreds of times:

all plugins you put into mu-plugins, are executed automatically all the time.

all plugins in the plugins folder have to be activated as a normal wp plugin does.

not all plugins work inside mu-plugins folder, usually plugins that are inside a sub folder don't.

for any more info, search in these forums.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

How about - If a plugin is not explicitly stated for WPMU, put it in the regular plugins folder.

4. Success
    Posted 15 years ago #

For plugins that we put in mu-plugins, when we want to remove them, do we need to inactivate it?

If I am not wrong, we just need to delete the files from the mu-plugins.

I ask this because I was thinking what happens if the plugin inside the mu-plugin altered the database and how are we doing to delete unwanted tables when we remove the plugin?

Or, plugins that go into mu-plugin do not alter the database at all?

5. Miroslav
    Posted 15 years ago #

Here's my understanding...

You don't deactivate plugins in the /mu-plugins/ folder (just as you don't activate them). Simply remove them from the server.

Whether a plugin alters the database depends on the plugin itself. Its placement in the /plugins/ or the /mu-plugins/ folder makes no difference with this regard.

If new tables have been created in the database by a plugin and you want to get rid of them, you would need to drop them after you removed the plugin files from the server (via your server interface, not WPMU).

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Success
  • Latest reply from Miroslav